Friday, 17 July 2015

AGONY OF ABRAHAM, AN INSIGHT OF THE ULTIMATE PRICE PAID (LOVE)


1 JOHN 3:1 NKJV
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

THE STORY

GENESIS 22:1-12 NKJV
Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” Then He said, “Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. Then on the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off. And Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.” So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” Then he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together. Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.” And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”


AGONY OF THE FATHER.

Just like every other times, God called Abraham again but this time around, not to bless him or make a new covenant with him but to ask him to sacrifice his son of promise, the one and only son whom he love (verse 2) on one of the mountains in Moriah.

Put yourself in the place of Abraham, what will be your countenance after the message. I, personally will feel very bad. God finally gave me the promised child after so many years of waiting, now He wants to take it from me, what if I and my wife will not be able to have another child after Isaac has been sacrificed, that means all those promises God has made will be nothing but lies, this message must be from the devil not God. (please note, this is my imagination.) Try to imagine what will be going on in Abraham's mind too.

Now on our way to the place of sacrifice, three days of journey will mean three days of mental pains. Every of our steps toward Moriah will make me feel more sad. The only son I have, my child of promise, about to be taken away from me as a sacrifice to God because I love God. What do I tell my wife when I get back home, how do I console her after the loss of the child of her old age. How do I tell her that I sacrificed him because I believe in God and I love Him. (Still my imagination as Abraham)

My final mental and emotional breakdown will hit me when the boy finally spoke; and he said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” Then he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” (verse 7). Its your turn to imagine the agony of the father, before he calmly reply the lad. If you are father Abraham, What would you have done?


THE LOVE OF THE SON

A question that came to my mind about this sacrifice story is; "how old was Isaac when Abraham tried to sacrificed him?" So painful the bible did not mention this, we can only imagine. First of all, he has been weaned, he is old enough to travel with his dad for like a week without his mum (three days to Moriah and another three days back home), he is old enough to carry the whole woods for the sacrifice to a mountain top in Moriah (verse 6). With all these I can imagine Isaac a youth full of strength.

Now, Isaac, a youth full of strength and full of Love for both his father and for God. He was born to a wealthy home where he is Lord over all his father has. Yet he love his father to the point that he's ready to take up the faith of his father, he must have been at so many worship with Abraham to the extent that he knows he and his father will need a lamb for the burnt offering.

He love God because he believed his father when the father said "God will provide the lamb for burnt offering". Let us now put ourselves in the place of Isaac when the father brought out the ropes to tie him and prepare him for the burnt offering. He is a youth, full of strength, (strong enough to carry the woods for the burnt offerring.) He could have overpowered his aged father, and run away. The love of the Son for both the father and God explained the "submission of Isaac to Abraham for the sacrifice".

I can't imagine the kind of conversation that transpired between Abraham and Isaac on their way home. (If you have an idea, share it with us in the comment box). Smiles


THE ULTIMATE PRICE PAID

John 3:16 clearly told us that GOD gave his only beggotton son to be sacrificed for you and I in propitiation for our sins. Imagine the agony of the father and son when Jesus prayed in Gethsemane (MATTHEW 26:39-44 NKJV He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will. ” Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done.” So He left them, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.) The book of Luke 22:42-44 recorded that Jesus was in agony and His sweat became like blood.

I think this is the only place recorded in the bible where Jesus prayed (3 times for that matter) and the Father was very silent. Imagine Jesus' ultimate submission to the will of the father (just like the story of Abraham and Isaac).

I can imagine the silence in heaven when Jesus was being arrested (like a robber, with swords and club LUKE 22:52) tried, crucified and laid in the tomb. The Prince of Peace, the King of Glory, the only begotten son of God left all His glory and his kingdom above to come and die as a sacrificial lamb for you and I (Love embedded in agony).

1 JOHN 3:1 Now, this is the manner of love (behind the scenes: agony) the Father has bestowed on to us, so that we will be called the children of God.

Give this a deep thought.

PRAYER
Dear Lord, thank you for giving me this opportunity of knowing the the depth of price you paid for my redemption, I have been abusing this privilege for a long time, please forgive me. As I make up my mind to love you just like you've loved me please strengthen me. Thank you because you've answered my prayers. In Jesus name I pray.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment