Nehemiah 4:1-23 NKJV
1 But it so happened, when Sanballat heard that we were rebuilding the wall, that he was furious and very indignant, and mocked the Jews.
2 And he spoke before his brethren and the army of Samaria, and said, “What are these feeble Jews doing? Will they fortify themselves? Will they offer sacrifices? Will they complete it in a day? Will they revive the stones from the heaps of rubbish— stones that are burned?”
3 Now Tobiah the Ammonite was beside him, and he said, “Whatever they build, if even a fox goes up on it, he will break down their stone wall.”
4 Hear, O our God, for we are despised; turn their reproach on their own heads, and give them as plunder to a land of captivity!
5 Do not cover their iniquity, and do not let their sin be blotted out from before You; for they have provoked You to anger before the builders.
6 So we built the wall, and the entire wall was joined together up to half its height, for the people had a mind to work.
7 Now it happened, when Sanballat, Tobiah, the Arabs, the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites heard that the walls of Jerusalem were being restored and the gaps were beginning to be closed, that they became very angry,
8 and all of them conspired together to come and attack Jerusalem and create confusion.
9 Nevertheless we made our prayer to our God, and because of them we set a watch against them day and night.
10 Then Judah said, “The strength of the laborers is failing, and there is so much rubbish that we are not able to build the wall.”
11 And our adversaries said, “They will neither know nor see anything, till we come into their midst and kill them and cause the work to cease.”
12 So it was, when the Jews who dwelt near them came, that they told us ten times, “From whatever place you turn, they will be upon us.”
13 Therefore I positioned men behind the lower parts of the wall, at the openings; and I set the people according to their families, with their swords, their spears, and their bows.
14 And I looked, and arose and said to the nobles, to the leaders, and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses.”
15 And it happened, when our enemies heard that it was known to us, and that God had brought their plot to nothing, that all of us returned to the wall, everyone to his work.
16 So it was, from that time on, that half of my servants worked at construction, while the other half held the spears, the shields, the bows, and wore armor; and the leaders were behind all the house of Judah.
17 Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon.
18 Every one of the builders had his sword girded at his side as he built. And the one who sounded the trumpet was beside me.
19 Then I said to the nobles, the rulers, and the rest of the people, “The work is great and extensive, and we are separated far from one another on the wall.
20 Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, rally to us there. Our God will fight for us.”
21 So we labored in the work, and half of the men held the spears from daybreak until the stars appeared.
22 At the same time I also said to the people, “Let each man and his servant stay at night in Jerusalem, that they may be our guard by night and a working party by day.”
23 So neither I, my brethren, my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me took off our clothes, except that everyone took them off for washing.
REBUILD YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE
Building up your spiritual life may just follow the same path rebuilding Jerusalem wall followed. From what I read from the book of Nehemiah chapter 4 today, I don't think it was an easy task rebuilding the walls neither do I think it is an easy task, rebuilding ones spiritual life.
THINGS TO EXPECT WHEN REBUILDING YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE
1. Questions will be asked? What are these feeble people doing....(See Nehemiah4:2). The moment you make up your mind to rebuild your spiritual life and rededicate yourself to the Lord, questions will be asked.
Your friends will ask you, what you are trying to do. Do you mean you want to forsake all the pleasures we enjoy together and be spiritual now? Some will doubt if you will be able to sustain the decision you just made. But be determined
2. People will mock your efforts at the beginning......(see Nehemiah4:3 even if a fox goes on whatever they are building, it will break). At the beginning of your regeneration process, some friends will tell you that whatever you are doing wouldn't matter to you if they entice you with money, women, alcohol and so on.... But be determined
3. Do not be discouraged rather be determined and pray to God for help (see Nehe4:4-6). You have decided to be on the Lord's side. The Lord will see your determinations and He will curb your mockers.
4. When the people who questioned and mocked you sees your determination and efforts, they will conspire against you to discourage you and confuse you (Nehe4:7-8). Your adversaries will definitely look for a way to bring you back to sin. They want to use every possible means to confuse you and make you fall. But be determined.
5. Once again, say some words of prayers, and prepare yourself for spiritual battles (see Nehe4:9-14). Watch and pray, lest you fall into temptations. Pray that the Lord should fight for you but at the same time, do not let your determination shake. Be ready to lose friends, be ready to lose families, be ready to face the worse....remind yourself of the battles the Lord has fought on you behalf and has won and just stay strong.
6. Return to your regeneration process and make sure you are ever ready for the spiritual battle... With one hand, rebuild yourself, with the other hand be ready to face your adversaries in battle (Nehe4:15-18)
7. Surround yourself with people of the same vision. So that whenever the enemy come at you, you will have people of the same vision to fight by your side with prayers because the battle is truly the Lord's (Nehe4:19-20)
8. Rebuild your spiritual life with great determination and the Lord will build you up (Nehe4:21-23)
dear Lord our Heavenly father, it wasn't an easy task for Nehemiah when he was rebuilding Jerusalem walls, He was determined and You helped him, everyone here who has made His or Her mind up to rebuild their spiritual lives is presented here at the throne of mercy, please help us to rebuild ourselves. Bless our determinations and efforts.
We pray that You rebuild us all from above. In Jesus name we Pray.