STORY OF ZACCHAEUS
Luke 19:1-10 NKJV
1 Then Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
2 Now behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus who was a chief tax collector, and he was rich.
3 And he sought to see who Jesus was, but could not because of the crowd, for he was of short stature.
4 So he ran ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Him, for He was going to pass that way.
5 And when Jesus came to the place, He looked up and saw him, and said to him, “Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house.”
6 So he made haste and came down, and received Him joyfully.
7 But when they saw it, they all complained, saying, “He has gone to be a guest with a man who is a sinner.”
8 Then Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold.”
9 And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham;
10 for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.
LESSONS FROM THE STORY
1. YOU MUST SEEK TO SEE JESUS: He was a tax collector and people of those days see them as sinners because they have been know for exploiting people. Among all the tax collectors in the time of Jesus, Zacchaeus was recorded to have a desire to see Jesus (the only begotten son of God sent to the world to take away our sins). Verse 3 of this chapter recorded that Zacchaeus, the chief tax collector sought to see who the Lamb of God was. What a great desire!!!
As a sinner, you must also desire to see the Lord, to have encounters with your maker.
2. YOU MUST MAKE EFFORTS TO OVERCOME ALL OBSTACLES PREVENTING YOU TO SEE JESUS: The bible recorded that Zacchaeus was a man of small stature, he sought to see Jesus but could not for he was of short stature so he ran ahead and climb up into a Sycamore tree to see Him for He was going to pass that way.
I can imagine a rich man in that time, the chief of tax collectors, probably someone who does not know how to climb a tree but on this day putting behind his social economic status and clinging to the branches of sycamore tree, so that he will be high above the crowd and He will see the Lord. What an effort!!!
For a sinner who desire to see the Lord, there will also be a lot of Obstacles that will try to prevent you, but it is your duty to make efforts to achieve your desires to see the Lord
3. DO NOT REJECT THE LORD'S OFFER TO VISIT YOU: Believe me, the Lord sees every heart and He knows every heart desires. Zacchaeus desired to see the Lord and the Jesus knows the effort the small stature man has made to see Him, therefore He offered to visit Him in his house and Zacchaeus didn't object the offer. He Joyfully received Jesus.
Even you as a sinner, who desires to see the Lord, whenever the message come to you asking you to open the door of your heart for Jesus to come in (as seen in Revelation 3:20) do not reject the offer.
4. PUBLICLY RENOUNCE YOUR EVIL WAYS AND PUBLICLY ANNOUNCE THAT YOU WILL MAKE AMENDMENTS: You have to openly renounce you evil ways just like Zacchaeus, forsake them and promise God you will make a change just like Zacchaeus.
5. YOUR SALVATION WILL BE COMPLETED: The day you encounter the Lord, you accepted His invitation to come to your heart, you confess your evil ways and you openly announce your desires to make amendments is the same day of your salvation.
God bless you.