THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
FOUR FOR GOD
And God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
1. “You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
3. “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
SIX FOR US
5. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
6. “You shall not murder.
7. “You shall not commit adultery.
8. “You shall not steal.
9. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.” Exodus 20:1-17 NKJV
WHICH IS THE GREATEST COMMANDMENT IN THE LAW?
But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:34-40 NKJV
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBORS AS YOURSELF
Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. Romans 13:8-10 NKJV
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS SIMPLIFIED
When Jesus was approached about the greatest commandment, it was obvious that He was talking about the Ten commandments. He simply said the first and the greatest commandment is ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
This means if you love God;
- you will have no other gods before Him. (1st commandment)
- you will not make for yourselve a carved image (2nd commandment)
- you will not take the name of the Lord your God in vain (3rd commandment)
- you will always remember the sabbath day to keep it holy
Jesus also said the second commandment is like it ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
This means if you love your neighbor as yourself, you will:
- honour your father and your mother (this commandment carried a blessing) (5th commandment)
- Not murder your neighbor (6th commandment)
- not commit adultery with your neighbor (7th commandment)
- not steal from your neighbor (8th commandment)
- not bear false witness against your neighbor (9th commandment)
- not covet your neighbor (10th commandment)
God loves us so much that He gave His only begotten son in propitiation for our sins. If He loves us so much, we ought to Love Him too. If we love Him, we will keep His commandment (John 14:15).
If God has shown us so much Love it is also our duty to Love one another. If we love one another, we will honour our parents and we will not steal, kill, covet, bear false witnesses or commit adultery with our neighbors.
we can therefore conclude on this note: "the ten commandments are laws of love" Love God and Love one another, this is the duty of all Christians.