Matthew 5:1-12 NKJV
And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
In the account of our Lord Jesus Christ according to the book of Matthew, Jesus began His ministry and public Evangelism with a message of Hope. He began the beatitudes with message of blessedness.
Blessed are the "poor in spirit" You may want to ask; "what does it mean to be poor in spirit?" To be poor in spirit means you are not spiritually whole. This further means you see yourself as a sinner and with humility, you see the need for a saviour. This bible says for yours is the Kingdom of Heaven (Salvation). ....“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” Mark 2:17 NKJV
Jesus also gave a message of hope to those who mourn, the people who have witnessed the injustice of sins and it's consequences on human race. The meek shall inherit the earth, the peacemaker shall be called the sons of God, and so on.
This "sermon of Hope" is to remind us of the manner of Love the Father have for us, this "sermon of hope" is to lift our fallen spirit and to tell each other that as long as we hold fast in the faith, we are blessed before the Father and the hope of eternal life awaits us.
As we remind each other of this message of hope, may the good Lord continually hold us up in this race, may He bless us as we wait on Him and may He bless us with life eternal. In Jesus name we pray.